Thursday, January 5, 2023

Dangerous Hollow Tree!

This is a repeat from ten years ago, of a tree that needed to come down at a state site. I told the site super that the best way to deal with it was to wait for snow, throw some Diesel fuel into the opening, light it and walk away. He was close to retirement and wasn't willing to risk his pension, so I had to cut it. It had a thin shell, and I was able to true up the compressed side to make a straight face in the shell, then a quick plunge cut behind the face from each side to complete the hinge, then zip around fast and get out of the way. It sounds easy, but the danger of a tree like this collapsing when you cut it is real. You must pay attention to the thickness of the shell and make a good hinge when cutting hollow trees.




1 comment:

markshere2 said...

that kind of job ... I would refuse to do it until I got triple compensation or guaranteed hospital benefits or some such.